Issues and Controversies in Journalism
By Tony Rogers
- Print Journalism in Peril
- The Rise of Web Journalism
- Press Freedoms & Reporters' Rights
- Bias, Balance and Brouhaha
Print Journalism in Peril
Newspapers are in trouble. Circulation is dropping, ad revenue is shrinking, and the industry has experienced an unprecedented wave of layoffs & cutbacks. So what does the future hold?
- Why Are Newspapers Dying?
- Five Things That Are Lost When Newspapers Close
- If Newspapers Die, What Will Happen to the News Itself?
- What Happens to Coverage of Average Folks When Newspapers Die?
- A Timeline of Newspaper Woes
The Rise of Web Journalism
With the decline of newspapers web journalism seems to be the future of the news business. But what exactly do we mean by web journalism? And can it really replace newspapers?
- What is Web Journalism?
- Can Web Journalism Replace Print Media?
- The Basics of Blogs and the Blogosphere
- Can Bloggers Replace Professional Journalists?
- What Is Citizen Journalism?
- The Era of Free News Websites Is Ending
- Ex-Foreign Correspondent Starts Website For News From Abroad
Press Freedoms & Reporters' Rights
In the United States the press enjoys a great deal of freedom to report critically and objectively on the important issues of the day. But in much of the world press freedom is either limited or virtually nonexistent, and reporters are often thrown in jail, beaten or even killed just for doing their jobs. Here you'll find stories about the state of press freedom around the world, and the risks journalists must take to report the truth.
- The First Amendment and Press Freedom
- Press Freedom Around the World
- Reporters Under Fire
- When Should Reporters Cooperate With Law Enforcement?
Bias, Balance and Brouhaha
Is the press objective? Which news outlet is really fair and balanced, and what does that actually mean? How can be reporters set aside their biases and really report the truth? Here you'll find stories on objectivity in the media and the debates that rage over what fairness really means in the news business.
- A Code of Conduct For Reporters
- What is Objectivity and Fairness?
- FOX News, MSNBC and Journalistic Objectivity
- Both Fox News and CNN Made Mistakes in Tea Party Protest Coverage